Benefits of using Viewstate are as following:-
- No server resources are required because state is in a structure in the page code.
- States are retained automatically.
- The values in view state are hashed, compressed, and encoded, thus representing a higher state of security than hidden fields.
- View state is good for caching data in Web frame configurations because the data is cached on the client.
Limitations of using Viewstate are as following: -
- Page loading and posting performance decreases when large values are stored because view state is stored in the page.
- Although view state stores data in a hashed format, it can still be tampered because it is stored in a hidden field on the page. The information in the hidden field can also be seen if the page output source is viewed directly, creating a potential security risk.
Below is sample code of storing values in view state.
this.ViewState["EnterTime"] = DateTime.Now.ToString();
Following is the video which demonstrates Authentication and Authorization in ASP.NET
Please click here to see more .NET/ASP.NET interview questions
write a comment